These are special category of tumors involving and affecting the most critical area of the body called skull base. This area is very vital as many important cranial nerves and major blood vessels are present. Tumors may directly arise from this area or may extent to this region from other sites.
Various surgeries possible in this region include –
- Paraphayrngeal space tumors – schwannoma, glomus tumors, carotid body tumor, salivary gland tumors
- Temporal bone tumors – cancers of ear, glomus tumors,
- Anterior skull base surgery – tumors of paranasal sinus extending to skull base,
- Surgery for tumors of eye ball – lacrimal gland tumor with skull base involvement. Orbital tumors
- Scalp tumors
- Infratemporal fossa tumors – trigeminal schwannoma, juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma.